Saturday, September 4, 2010

My Honda Bravo After A Year

Honda Bravo 100cc Review


This is some sort of a review after a year of using my  Honda Bravo.  So far, this 100cc motorcycle has traveled about 25,000 kilometers. Based on this figure, it will take me another 3 years before the counter resets to zero. The odometer only has 6 digits with the last one for the decimal. I plan on doing a review of this motorcycle every year.
For the previous year, below is the list of what happened....

Suspension
I've dropped the bike several times and there's one major accident I had with a jeepney. Due to this, I needed to change the steering stem assebly and paid a machine shop to straighten the fork tubes. I don't know where to buy the original fork oil used on Showa forks and I experimented with 2T oil, ATF and finally settled with Repsol fork oil.

Rims and Tires
Bravo came with 1.2x17 rim and 2.25x17 tires in front. Stock setting for the rear is 1.4x17 rim 2.5x17 tires. Both are Inoue brand.
I prefer wider tires and to have this, I transferred the rear rim and rubber to the front. Rear now have 1.6x17 rim and 2.75x17 tire. At the moment I am using Leo Laser tires for both. This tire is low cost but it somehow exceeded my expectations on dry and wet surface.

Electricals
Last month, the headlight was busted and I bought a yellow halogen bulb as replacement. It cost 10x times more compared to ordinary H6 bulb available in motorcycle parts store but I am happy with the performance. The only drawback is that the high and low beams are reversed. I've read before that headlight bulbs made in China for motorcycles are like this because the Chinese are using a different standard.
Earlier, the left turn signal in the front was also busted. It cost me a few pesos.
For the ignition, I am using a side-gapped plug. The Bravo seems to be quite happy with it. I usually carry a spare plug for emergency purposes and this is an unmodified plug. One day, I installed this one instead and the motorcycle felt sluggish. So it seems sidegapping really works.

Overall, I believe it is a good decision for me to choose this bike. There are better looking models and cheaper Chinabikes as alternatives but my Honda hasn't given me a single headache so far. Inspite if the daily wide-open-throttle moments, deep ruts in the Philippine road networks, rough roads of Bicol, Batangas and Mindoro as well as one Bagiuo climb, this little bike has proven its worth.

I am a proud owner of this ugly, puny 100cc Honda Bravo motorcycle!

Related Topics:

No comments:

Post a Comment